Friday 20 August 2010

Cake Note 11: "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia."

On which note, I have had an extra treat this week and have been chatting to my beautiful granddaughter on the web cam - amazing pieces of kit, I wouldn't know what to do without it! Anyway, it's definantly tomorrow in Australia - 08.50 to be precise!


I've been busy with this week's cake order - the 80 year old lady who loves a bit of  Bling! The instructions were ' pretty, and Bling'......I used the Tiffany colours as a base theme, and made flower paste roses and leaves, interspersed with diamantes. And the Swarovski '80'  - I quite like this cake, it's elegant and sparkly without being over the top. Hope you agree.


I've changed the way I do sponge cakes - normally, once baked, you would cover them with a thin coat of butter cream (after layering and filling the cake) - this is called a 'crumb coat' and does exactly what it says on the tin..prevents crumbs from the cake getting mixed up into the sugar paste you coat the cake with.


Well, I get myself into a right old tacking with this buttercream malarkey, and really struggle to get a nice, smooth looking sugar paste top coat. In comes Planet Cake - a fabulous book by a company in Australia, and they use chocolate ganache to crumb coat their cakes...no lumps bumps or bulges (is that me or the cake :O!) Makes the cake a bit more expensive but the finish is so much more professional...a big THANK YOU to Planet Cake for sharing this amazing tip. They use dark chocolate, but  I use white as it's a nicer finish for lighter coloured sugar pastes.


So, time marches on, it'll be Christmas before you know it..now will I be here or will I be in Australia?? That's in the lap of the Gods...and an invite from my son and his wife:)


Hope you like the cake, any comments good or bad welcome....It's true isn't it...you really are talking to yourself on here! Well at least no-one can answer me back


Take care and goodnight x
Completed cake Tiffany Blue sugarpaste and white ribbon with pearl lustre roses and leaves

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake as always jean xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hI Becki thanks - the owner was pleased with it too - the sugar paste colour was lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having cake withdrawal Jean - can't wait to see your new creations xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back Becki! A bit like bad penny:) I've been havin cake withdrawl myself

    ReplyDelete