Sunday 14 November 2010

Cake Note 21: "Babies are such a nice way to start people - Don Herold"

Aren't they just, ans my family seems to be moving onwards creating new generations. I am now a Great Great Aunty to our latest little chap and am going to meet him tomorrow - he's a week old, and born on 5 November - one day after my birthday which is the 4th!

Today's blog is about christening cakes - not for my great, great nephew (!)  - that's later in 2011 and I am so pleased I  have been asked to make his cake. No, this cake is for  little girl who is being christened next Sunday - I'm in preparation for a two tier cake - ten inch vanilla Madeira cake topped with an eight inch chocolate cake - pink and white with building blocks spelling the baby's name. There will be a 'fluttering' of butterflies on it too! The actual cake won't be ready for posting until next weekend but here are the bricks I have made for it - I'm really pleased with them because they were harder than they look! Thank you to Marion Frost and her amazing Patchwork Cutters, which made the blocks easier to do than if I had had to mark the lines etc myself. The PW cutter set also comes with little pictures to stick on the sides of the blocks. I'll post the finished cake next weekend.



The blocks spell the baby's name - and have little toys/motifs stuck on them
 
Just trying the blocks for size and display using cake dummies

 The second photo is just me trying to work out the best lay out for the names - using 2 cake dummies of the right size as the christening cake will by. I think I'll be pleased with this one

1 comment:

  1. simply gorgeous, cant wait to see the final ensemble xx

    ReplyDelete