Monday 28 February 2011

Cake Note 30: "Spring shows what God can do with a drab and dirty world" - Virgil A. Kraft

I, for one, am ready for the Spring - it's dull, it's wet, it's dirty and it's cold.

This cake is a very special one. I have been asked if I would make a cake to raffle off for our local charity, Aurora. Aurora is based on site at our District General Hospital, and it is a lovely place where the well being of patients living with cancer, can come along and have some pamper time - a massage, pedicure...that kind of thing.

So they are having a fund raiser and I was asked to make a cake. YES, I would love to. The theme was anything you like, but the raffle will be held around early April, so Easter was suggested.

What I decided to do was use colours that are my particular favourite, and rather than stick to the Easter themes ( Religious themes, eggs, rabbits chocolate etc) I thought I would concentrate on Spring.

So this cake is my representation of the long awaited Spring - lilacs and lemon colours, bright cheerful flowers and an oval shaped cake with a ribbon! It's a 10x8 inch fruit cake - soaked in Brandy (very soaked), covered with sugar paste and decorated with flower paste narcissi, primroses and foliage, and a few fantasy flowers and twirly bits!

I hope it raises a few quid for our cancer charity:)




Still haven't thought of an inscription - but there will be one:)

2 comments:

  1. Hope Springs Eternal was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your cake - it is just stunning - will have to make sure I get my raffle tickets xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's enough room! I was thinking more like Spring Time or Happy Easter!

    Thanks Becki, I love making flowers :)

    ReplyDelete