Tuesday 22 November 2011

Cake Note 48: "To a father growing old, nothing is dearer than a daughter" Euripides

And how often do those of us who have lost their Dads, wish we could turn back the clock. I loved my Dad but it wasn't till I was much older, that I realised just how much.

This cake is for a special Dad - someone who has a daughter who loves him enough to organise a special cake for his 80th birthday. Instructions were, fruit cake, big and he loves gardening - but vegetables not flowers!

To be honest, I do struggle with cakes for men, but wanted to make a decent job of this one so, it's a 10 inch square rich fruit cake - dowsed frequently in Brandy:) ....and iced with a gardening theme - well I hope my representation of the daughter's instructions make her Dad smile on his 80th birthday. Sir, I don't know you but I wish you MANY happy returns:)




The shed is made of chocolate paste which was a bit of a mistake, as it wouldn't firm up enough when left to dry, despite adding CMC powder - so I hit on the idea of making a rice crispie model of the shed and this enabled me to stick the pieces on without them bending! All the veggies are made of sugar paste:)

No comments:

Post a Comment