Friday 18 March 2011

Cake Note 32: " I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty" - Georgia O'Keefe on Calla Lilies

Installment number 2:)

I'm exhausted - I started the week great guns witht this single tier wedding cake for my friend's daughter. All I had to do last night was put on the sugarpaste and leave it to dry overnight before I put on my GLORIOUS Lilies. I set off at a pace at 9 o'clock and at 11 0'clock, the sugarpaste was sagging round the bottom like a mushroom and the edge at the top looked like elephant skin......It was a new (and expensive ) brand of sugarpaste....AGES I tried to smooth it and make the sides straight but in the end, at nearly MIDNIGHT  I ripped it off, chilled the cake overnight and got up at the crack of dawn, re-did the crumb coat, galloped off to the supermarket for some new (supermarket brand) fondant and by 10.30 this morning, I had a perfectly smooth cake:)

There's a moral in this tale somewhere but I am so tired I can't think of it....just yet. Here's the cake.....can't wait for the bride to see it tomorrow......her colour schem is ivory and fuschia pink, hence the fuschia ribbon and the pink tips on the lilies:)



No comments:

Post a Comment